House Bill 542 was signed into law on October 30, 2017. Under the new law, the Fireworks Act of 1939 was repealed and replaced in its entirety. In the bill it states that:
- Consumer fireworks cannot be ignited or discharged on public or private property without the express permission of the property owner.
- Consumer fireworks cannot be discharged from or within a motor vehicle or building
- Consumer fireworks cannot be discharged toward a motor vehicle or building
- Consumer fireworks cannot be discharged within 150 feet of an occupied structure
- Consumer fireworks cannot be discharged while the person is under the influence of alcohol, a controlled substance, or another drug
What does that mean? Majority if not all of the South Greensburg falls under the 150 feet of a structure. Therefore, South Greensburg residents are not able to legally set off consumer fireworks.
Everyone at the Borough of South Greensburg wishes you a very safe and happy 4th of July!